Sunday, July 31, 2011

Oh my aching back!!!

Please excuse my lack of blogging lately and for the next several days.

This pregnancy keeps throwing curve balls at me. And at 21 weeks, I'm currently on bed rest due to pulling a back muscle on Thursday.

I've been complaining about back pain for sometime now, but nothing like this.

One minute I'm at the waterpark with Andres, the next minute I was at home in soo much pain I could not even walk to the bathroom unassisted.
The pain throughout my lower back, hips, and thighs was/is excruciating!!

When Oshin saw me in tears he decided to take me to the ER.
(Turns out, after 21 weeks I should have gone straight to Labor & Delivery, but they were at full capacity so they would have sent me to the ER anyway).

In addition to my back pain, I was dehydrated causing me some Braxton hicks. (I am drinking water/fluids as much as possible, but I guess it's still not enough for baby).
They gave me fluids and a small dose of pain meds.

It barely helped.

But there's nothing that can be done really. I just have to rest and take it easy until my back heals itself.
(Easier said than done when you have a  busy 2 year old).
photo courtesy of Google images
This is all due to the pregnancy of course. According to doctors and Baby Center, "You can probably blame your growing uterus and hormonal changes for your aching back.Your expanding uterus shifts your center of gravity and stretches out and weakens your abdominal muscles, changing your posture and putting strain on your back. It may also cause back pain if it's pressing on a nerve. What's more, hormonal changes in pregnancy loosen your joints and the ligaments that attach your pelvic bones to your spine. "
I am walking a lot better today, but the pain is still lingering.

I also get these random spasms of back pain throughout the day.
I can't bend over, sit down or get up too quickly, go up/down the stairs, carry/lift Andres, or stand for long periods of time.
(All things that I'm used to doing and NEED to do, of course).

My dearest husband has been taking on most of the house work and Andres, something he's not that quite used to and quickly realizing IT IS a lot of work. (Don't get me wrong, my husband does help me out on a regular basis, but he is used to me being able to do it all).
So, if he sees me able to walk, he thinks I'm 100% better. (Which is just not the case).
He's in for a rude awakening when baby Ezra makes his grande appearance. He will have NO alone time!!

I ask for prayers for a complete recovery very soon. 
My sister comes to town this upcoming weekend and we are supposed to go to King's Island, an amusement park, but I highly doubt I will be able to make it with my track record.

Have a great week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments, questions, or concerns

d