Thursday, April 21, 2011

Whatever it takes

I was on the phone with my sister, just the other day, and she filling me in on my 7 year old niece.

Apparently, my niece does not like to read.

She likes to be read to, but doesn't like/want to make the effort to read things for herself.
photo source
I was a little baffled by the news and secretly prayed that Andres doesn't go this way.
(But sometimes we just never know).

Being the good mother, my sister decided to take action and work on her daughter's reading skills and is enforcing encouraging her to read more everyday. At the end of the week, if she accumulates a certain amount of stars on her reading chart, she will get to watch a movie on the weekend.

I told my sister that as my niece progresses, she must up the ante and change things.

This got me thinking... As parents, we go through various stages of raising our children.
One minute it's breastfeeding & changing diapers, the next it's potty training, then pre-school, puberty & middle school, rebellious teenagers in high school, then it's off to college.

Whew!! What a lot of work.

And in the midst of this, we must continue to educate our children, support and encourage them with their studies every way possible.

Just because we did good in school, doesn't mean our kids will or vice versa. They might need a little extra help with learning and grasping things.

I strongly believe that we, as parents, must do whatever it takes to assist their learning.

There are so many organizations out there with the tools to help. Companies like StudyPoint tutoring who come right to your home.
Whether it's my niece needing a little more encouragement with reading/writing or a high schooler needing SAT tutoring, we exhaust all options until they succeed, right??

(I wish my family had taken more initiative with my studies and that I had taken some SAT/ACT tutoring. I bombed both tests!! It was embarrassing actually).

But, I know that I will do everything in my power to help my son, as I know my sister will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments, questions, or concerns

d