Saturday, May 21, 2011

1800 calories

I've been slacking again. I apologize. If it's not one thing, it's another. (Sigh).
But I'm alive & well, for the most part.

Wednesday afternoon I got a phone call from the medical center on base (we're an Air Force family) telling me they need to see me ASAP because I have Gestational Diabetes.

Pardonnez moi? 
What do you mean I have gestational diabetes, my 1 hour glucose test is NOT until next Wednesday? Is it because of those donuts I ate?

My labs from several weeks ago were pre-diabetic (which I knew), hence my change to a sugar free diet.
But, they are basically telling me that next Wednesday, I will not pass the 1 hour glucose test so they are starting my "diabetic treatment," since my A1C test is at 5% (it should be below 5).

I cried, got angry, was disappointed, and started blaming genetics. You name it!!

I was hysterical!!!

Then I woke up the next day and realized it's a blessing in disguise. It could be worse, right?
This is my ticket to controlled weight gain/loss and an even healthier lifestyle for my unborn baby, me, and my entire family.

I'm currently on an 1800 calorie diet and working out 3-4 a week. Due to my 10-13 pound weight gain with PCOS, I should not gain more than 15 pounds this entire pregnancy.
(That sure does take the FUN out of being fat, happy, & pregnant).

I have to read labels, count calories, and carbs.
Let me tell you, this is a b!tch to truly get used to and in a routine with. For me at least.

photo source
Luckily, some Facebook friends told me about Livestrong.com. It's a great site for keeping track of my calorie & carb consumption AND calories burned throughout the day. Housework, playing with Andres, and going for walks all count, in addition to my yoga and Zumba days.

I'm going to work hard and do my best. I know it's not going to be easy. But I have to be consistent.

The bad thing is we currently have no groceries (we'll go shopping tomorrow) and I messed up my caloric intake, today, with my enchilada craving. Let's not forget the rice & beans and a few sips of that freshly made Mexican Lemonade.

I'm Mexican. Mexican food is delish!  But it's partly to blame for this predicament.  (Partly, I said). Due to genetics and the fact that I was not taught to eat healthy as a child. (It wasn't until I left Houston in 2000 that I slowly started eating healthier).

No use in crying over it, anymore.

I truly hope to change this for my little family. Wish me luck!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments, questions, or concerns

d